The interior of the Church
Although the interior of the Church appears to be simple and unadorned, there are a number of interesting features, all of which add to the Church's reputation of being one of the finest in South Warwickshire.
The North and South Aisles
The north and south aisles of the Church were built in the late 13th century. One must have followed the other but it is not certain which was the earlier. The northern arcade is remarkable for its carvings, whilst the southern has practically none. The mouldings of the north capitals give them an earlier appearance than the south, but it is hard to believe that the profuse carving in the north capitals, if it existed first, would not have been copied by the builders of the south arcade. For a number of reasons, it is felt, therefore, that the south aisle was built first about 1260-1270 and the north aisle about 1280-1290.
The Capitals of the Pillars
The capitals of the pillars are of particular note.
One pillar shows a dog chasing a hare, a squirrel eating a nut, a headless animal — probably from its — a sheep,
another animal — probably a fox, and a winged monster with a human head and a long tail with a demon's head at end. The half-round capital to the triple shafts has a lion and dragon fighting.
Another pillar-capital has a stag and other animals, probably a hound, a lion, a beast with a bushy tail and almost human head with a protruding tongue, and two others (on the north and north-west) which are carved upside down, and possibly intended for a cat and dog.
Others show a man gasping a sprig of foliage in each hand (possibly depiction of the 'green man'), a dog with a rat in its mouth, and a stag.
The bowl of the font is dated to about the 15 century.
Tombs and stone slab monuments
A low table tomb in the north transept has a grey marble slab with indents of former brasses of a man and a woman, three shields, and a marginal inscription. It is of late 16th century date and is said to be that of Peter Temple (1577) and his wife (1582).
Another tomb in the south transept is that ofJohn Swain (1658) and his wife Anne (1677).
In the north transept is a mural monument on the east wall to John Temple of Stowe (1603). It has an inscription in white marble surrounded by twelve shields medallions of arms.
There are a number of inscribed floor and wall slab monuments:
one in the chancel to John Smith 'a patron of this place' (1713) and another to Elizabeth his wife, (1712).
a stone in the nave is to Benjamin Wagstaffe, Gent, January (1685).
in the south transept are four slabs to members of the Wilkes family from 1681 to 1704.
a wall tablet is dedicated to the memory of Edward Knott, junior, whose widow bequeathed money for the restoration of this part of the Church in 1935.